The Millennium Declaration Goals were set through the Millennium Declaration upon completion of the Millennium Summit that took place in New York on June 6-8, 2000 at the UN Headquarters. The Summit focused on the contribution of citizens towards the poorest countries to improve quality of life by 2015, while the Secretary-General made reference to a relevant principle in his Millennium Report, according to which the human factor is paramount and should always be considered in relation to any action. More specifically, the 8 Millennium Declaration Goals consisted of:
- Eliminating extreme poverty and hunger
- Achieving access to and provision of primary education at universal level
- Promoting gender equality and empowering women
- Reducing child mortality rates
- Improving maternal health
- Fighting against HIV / AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Ensuring environmental sustainability
- Developing a global development partnership.
United Nations Secretariat building, seen from the East River, with windows illuminated with "THANK YOU NY" expressing the UN's gratitude to New York City for hosting the Millennium Summit. New York, United States, September 10, 2000. UN Photo / Eskinder Debebe.
Πηγή: United Nations-UN